There are vegan hacks that either simplify life or just make you feeling like a kitchen boss. Dipping an vegan ice cream cone in hard shell falls under both categories.
Homemade vegan boxed mac and cheese absolutely simplifies life. With a container of DIY dry vegan cheese mix you’ll never need to blend random expensive ingredients into a chz sauce again. Nut free cheese sauce!
- Egg Free
- Nut Free
- Gluten Free
- Snacks, Dessert & Dinner
Vegan Cheese Crisps – 2 Ingredient Crackers (Gluten Free)
These crackers are nut free & gluten free. Flourless cheesy crackers! Are you hearing me?! These are actually 1 ingredient but I added pickled jalapeno slices to be classy.
I’ve made these with 2 different brands of vegan shredded cheese. And I’ve made these with sliced vegan cheese. You’ll want to bake these passed the point of no return. If you bake them til the cheese is melted and bubbly they’ll be firm but pliable. That’s good but if you want full crisp crackers they need to be baked super golden.
I’ve made these last week out of a thin pile of vegan shredded cheese and that took maybe 20 minutes to get crispy. What you see in the picture was made with large piles of vegan shredded cheese. These too forever (35 minutes). When I took them out of the oven at 20 minutes and chilled them in the fridge to fully harden. The center wasn’t crispy so I put them back in the oven.
The weirdest thing about the crackers is that they stuck in my teeth as though I was eating super sticky caramel. I wasn’t expecting that.
vegan shredded cheese (I’ve used follow your heart brand, aldi brand & diaya vegan cheeses) + pickled jalapeno (optional)
- Make cheese piles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Place a jalapeno in the center
- Bake at 350 til very golden brown. Depending on how thick your cheese piles are this could take 20-40 minutes. Chill in fridge when done. If your crackers are still soft in the center bake in the oven another 5-15 minutes. Then chill again. ENJOY
Vegan White Magic Shell for Ice Cream (Gluten Free)
Dude you can use regular dark chocolate chips. I know not everyone has vegan white chocolate chips in their pantry. You can buy them on ebay, amazon and online vegan stores. These would be pretty for a rainbow / mermaid / unicorn party. Any colored toppings you place on them will stand out beautifully.
The vegan white chocolate pretty much just tastes like sugar. The vegan ice cream we bought was a bit bland so the topping took it to the max! Like frosting on a cupcake.
If you’re using pointed tipped cones you can fill a large bowl with rice to hold your ice cream cones in place before and after dipping. But eat quick! Once the ice cream starts to melt this gets messy. On the safe side use a bowl 🙂
1 cup vegan white chocolate chips (or dark chocolate), 3 TB coconut oil
- Slowly melt chocolate chips with coconut oil. I did this in 15 second spurts in the microwave. Mix oil with chocolate every time you stop the microwave. Don’t over cook!
- Pack ice cream into cone then dip into liquid shell. Or scoop ice cream into bowl and pour thin layers of shell over the top. ENJOY
Vegan Dry Cheese Mix – DIY Box Mac and Cheese! (Gluten Free Optional)
Can we all take a minute to give It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken‘s food blog a huge round of applause for being freaking genius! Dude never in a million years would I have thought of this exact thing. Yes I’ve made cheesy sauces from dry ingredients but this is next level! No soaking nuts, no expensive ingredients.
1/4 cup dry chz mix + 1 cup pasta (3oz) + 3/4 cup vegan milk + 1 TB vegan butter (optional)
Recipe makes about 5.5 servings of vegan mac and cheese: serving is 1/4 cup dry mix
3/4 cup nutritional yeast (54g), 1/2 cup flour (90g, regular flour or a thickening GF flour), 1 TB sugar, 1 TB paprika, 2 ts salt, 2 ts onion powder, 1 ts garlic powder, 1 ts lemon pepper, 1/2 ts turmeric
- Mix dry ingredients together and pour into a 16 ounce mason jar
- Cook 1 cup pasta and drain
- Mix dry cheese mix with vegan milk and butter til thick. Mix in pasta. ENJOY
Inspired by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
2 Ingredient Vegan Coconut Yogurt (Gluten Free)
If you’re scared to throw these two ingredients together and let the magic happen then read Minimalist Baker‘s post on making yogurt. They’ve done lots of trouble shooting and even posted a video on how to do this wrong. Long story short they say you’ll want to use whole foods brand full fat coconut milk (with guar gum) and probiotics (without pre-biotics)
She recommends using 2 Renew Life 50 billion probiotics per can. I bought that brand because I’m trying to follow the rules. Her yogurt thickened a lot but mine didn’t so I added xanthan gum. Do not expect any yogurt magic to happen in less than 24 hours. 24-48 hours is the rule.
If your yogurt looks or smells weird throw it away. Things happen.
1 can full fat yogurt, 2 Renew Life 50 billion probiotics capsules + pinch of xanthan gum & fruit
- My coconut milk wasn’t liquid so I warmed it up in the microwave
- Whisk in 2 probiotics capsules
- Cover with nut milk bag or cheesecloth. Set on counter for 24-48 hours.
- Place in fridge to chill. If not thick enough add a tiny dash of xanthan gum to it and blend smooth. Start is 1/8th or 1/16th ts.
- Serve plain or with fruit. ENJOY
Inspired by Minimalist Baker