I’m not sure how much these veggie nuggets resemble chicken nuggets because these are super vegetabled out! If you want some too good to be true Vegan Fried Chicken then check out my seitan recipe. It rocked my world and was way easier to make than I would have guessed.
Who doesn’t need some crispy veggie patties to dip into vegan ranch and BBQ sauce?!
- Kid Friendly (sneaky veggie dish)
- Gluten Free
- Baked or Fried!
- High Protein (if you use bean flour like besan or garbanzo)
Crispy Red Lentil Nuggets
I love red lentils. I even made a whole Vegan Red Lentil recipe post of different things you can make with red lentils that isn’t soup (image pizza!).
1 cup red lentils (200g), 1/2 cup flour (50g, I used besan bean flour, any works), about one cup of each: 1 grated onion, 1 grated carrot, grated potato + spices, oil for cooking and frying
- Soak 1 cup lentils for 20-25 minutes
- Cook grated and diced veggies in 1 TB oil with salt. Cook in skillet for about 15 minutes. It did stick in the skillet a bit while cooking.
- Blend spices, flour and soaked lentils in food processor. Pulse to break everything up but leave some texture.
- Mash cooked veggies with the chunky dough
- Coat hands with oil and form nugget shapes from the mixture. Fry in oil. Or bake at 375 for 30-40 or until golden. Flip while cooking to make both sides crispy. ENJOY
Inspired by Food Impromptu
Crispy Lazy Protein Chickpea Nuggets
You could mix shredded veggies into this but this recipe is for lazy people who just need to start dipping nuggets into something delicious. If you have a bag of chickpea flour and have no idea what to do with it then this is the recipe for you!
4 cup chickpea flour (400g), 1 cup water, salt + spices (I used paprika, Italian seasoning, seasoning salt, dried chives) + oil
- Mix dry ingredients together then add water. This batter will be thick so use a wooden spoon instead of a whisk.
- To bake coat the baking sheet with oil
- Scoop batter onto oiled baking sheet. Dip fingers in oil and flatten nuggets.
- Cook in 375 degree oven for 30. Flip halfway through (I oiled the film side at this point). Done once golden on each side. ENJOY
Inspired by SomethingVegan
Crispy Cabbage Nuggets
These could be made with an Asian or Indian flare! But any flavor would work. I like to pick my flavors based on what dipping sauces I want. I don’t say it enough but I freaking love cooked cabbage. I always forget that because cabbage isn’t glamours but is so good. These were my absolute favorite of the three nuggets.
1/2 med cabbage (250g), 1 cup flour (120g, I used besan bean flour, any works), spices, salt, water, oil
- Shred cabbage and mix with spices and flour (I used half the flour at first)
- I set my mixture in the fridge to let the salt inside the mixture breakdown the cabbage. Then I added a more flour. I used a total of 1 cup. You can possibly skip this step of letting it sit in the fridge.
- Fry in oil. Or bake at 375 for 30-40 or until golden. Flip while cooking to make both sides crispy. ENJOY
Inspired by Budget Bytes