Veggie dishes are more than great side dishes. What I love is a high volume low calorie meal. I added a TB of oil to all of these recipes. You could literally cut the calories in half if you left the oil out. Bam! Low fat for the folks who want that. One dish has a little rice and you could leave that out. Shazam, low carb for the people who want that! Side veggie dish for people want that. Really, these recipes are for everyone.
More Huge Low Calorie Veggie Recipes here.
Asian Veggie Delight (white sauce)
If you’ve ever had veggie delight at a Chinese restaurant then you’ll know this dish. I can’t believe I’ve been eating bags of frozen veggies for so long and it just dawned on me to eat it with delicious Chinese gravy. This dish couldn’t cost more than $1.50 and is something I can not get enough of. Seriously! GREATEST MEAL EVER. Or side dish 🙂 And takes about 10 minutes to throw together.
Often I leave out the step of sauteing onions and garlic in oil so that i’ll have more calories left over for junk food later. Leave out the oil & onions and this dish will still taste great. I’d recommend throwing some dried chives in there. Dude this dish is only 184 calories without the oil & onion. It’s a TON of food!
*This not exactly white colored sauce because I LOVE adding Korean red pepper flakes to everything.
370 calories total (or 184 calories without oil, onion & garlic)
1 frozen steamer bag of veggies (120 calories), 1 TB corn starch (35 calories), 3/4 cup water. 2 ts veggie bouillon (30 calories, I love better than bouillon, vegan chicken flavor), small onion (66 calories, 150g), fresh garlic, freshly grated ginger, 1 TB oil (120 calories)
- Cook frozen steamer bag in microwave
- Saute onions with a dash of salt until soft. Add garlic and saute for another minute then add ginger.
- Make gravy by adding cornstarch dissolved in water to your saute pot. Add bouillon and any extra spices you’d like. Once water starts to boil it should thicken up. Stir the whole time. Add extra water if too thick or a more cornstarch slurry if too thin.
- Add cooked veggies. ENJOY
Vegan Mushroom & Rice Bowl
YESSSSSS! I’m a little embarrassed this dish isn’t HUGE. There’s supposed to be over flowing bowls of food here. I actually bought two packs of mushrooms but only one container looked good so this was half the amount I was expecting. This should have been double the size for just 60 extra calories. Either way this was super easy and filling. I should make this again soon!
346 calories total – low carb friendly if you leave out the rice.
9 oz mushrooms (260g / 60 calories), 84g snow peas (36 calories), chopped garlic, 1 TB oil (120 calories), 1 TB soy sauce (20 calories), 70g cooked rice (110 calories), salt
- Saute garlic in oil and dash of salt
- Add mushrooms and snow peas and saute
- Add a dash of soy sauce. If you need to cook veggies longer feel free to add a splash of water to the pot.
- Add cooked rice to a bowl with the veggies. ENJOY
Vegan Summer Squash & Tomatoes
I will admit I ended up eating this different that what you see in the picture. I put this in the fridge to eat later but I’m all about that white sauce life sooooo I turned this into soup. I soooo wish I shared the soup recipe in the video. It was AMAZING.
* to turn into soup just make the white sauce gravy recipe above, use extra water to cover the veggies and cook til everything is soft. The tomatoes made this dish extra.
363 calories total / 181 calories per serving (2 servings)
10 oz cherry tomatoes (83 calories), 552 g yellow squash (94 calories), 1 small onion (150g, 66 calories), garlic, 1 TB oil (120 calories), Italian spices, 1/2 lime juice
- Saute onion in oil and salt until soft
- Add garlic and saute for a minute
- Add veggies, spices and salt to taste
- Cook til yellow squash is tender. Feel free to add a splash of water and a lid to the pot. Add spices and lime juice. ENJOY