In addition to trying to master the realm of 50 cent meals I think 5 minute meals are another area I should tackle. In addition to trying to create more money for myself (think smaller grocery bill) I would love to create more time for myself (think less time in the kitchen).
Vegan Sloppy Joes
I’ve made vegan sloppy joes full of veggies in the past. I think they’re better on buns but I had bread so here it is. This recipe is a quicker version which makes 4 sandwiches! You can use any grains. Aldi sells packets of pre-cooked rice for like $1! I bought their pre-cooked quinoa cup for the first time. I added beans but you can use all grains.
1 can sloppy joe sauce, 1 packet of pre-cooked grains, canned beans, bread
- Mashing beans up is optional. Mix beans with grains then add as much sloppy joe sauce as you’d like.
- Microwave your sloppy joe filling and serve on toasted bread or buns. ENJOY
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Salad Wrap
I like the texture of mashed chickpeas for this dish but you can use any beans. Feel free to leave out the hot sauce if it’s not your thing. I was debating adding more veggies to this wrap (tomatoes, pickles, etc). I’m in love with Just Mayo pretty much because it’s cheaper than follow your heart brand, tastes like follow your heart brand, is half the calories and is available at more stores. If the store had vegan plain yogurt I would have added a little bit to the mix but this was great as is. This made 2 wraps.
2 large tortillas, lettuce, 4 TB vegan mayo, 1 can chickpeas, hot sauce to taste
- Mash chickpeas with a fork or pulse in food processor
- Mix in mayo and hot sauce
- Divide filling between 2 tortillas (I heated my tortillas up in the microwave). Add lettuce and roll closed. ENJOY
Vegan Grilled Bean + Guacamole Burrito
Dude this was so good and salty. If you don’t have a grill then just microwave the beans before adding them to the tortilla. I grilled my burrito so I just threw everything in their cold. Thanks george foreman! The next night I made 2 more of these and left them on the grill until the burritos were super crispy. So good!
can refried beans, large flour tortillas, hot sauce, guacamole, lettuce
- Heat up tortilla til warm
- Throw everything inside the tortilla then grill on the foreman or in a skillet. ENOY
Vegan Hummus & Guacamole Sandwich
Maybe this should have been wrapped in a tortilla since this was mega messy. I love a nice sandwich! So good 🙂
bread (or flour tortilla), hummus, guacamole, lettuce, tomato
- Add everything to your bread (toasted bread or tortilla). ENJOY
Vegan Quick Curry
Ah! I totally forget to grab a bag of mixed veggies from the store so all I had was broccoli in the freezer. I’m going to assume that you don’t want to a bowl of broccoli curry soup but you might! Dude, whatever frozen veggies you like will work. Or even canned veggies. These soup can be made with curry powder, garam masala or a combo of both. I’ve made this with full fat canned coconut milk and light coconut milk in the past. Both are great in my opinion so I usually default to light.
1 can coconut milk (regular or light), 1 small can tomato sauce, 1-2 TB curry powder or other indian spice blend, salt to taste, 1 frozen steamer bag of veggies
- Pour both can into a bowl and mix with spices & salt
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes until broth is hot and mix well
- Microwave steamer bag of veggies for 5 minutes or until hot
- Mix everything together. ENJOY