Did you know you can make quick desserts, meals and snacks in the microwave? It’s crazy. How am I just learning this? If you’re in college or just plain homeless these no-oven recipes are for you.
I usually use the microwave to reheat already cooked food like meal preps. Since I was straight up cooking food in the microwave the glassware stays in the microwave much longer than I’m used to. What I’m saying is that the plates and bowls get crazy hot. Use an oven mitt when handling.
Vegan Kale Chips – Crispy!
I have no idea if I used too much oil but I can not express to you how good these were! Dude they were so crispy and had a delicious roasted flavor. Crazy right?! I used a huge bunch of kale so I had to make this in a million small batches in the microwave. The plate was sooo hot so be careful. Since these shrink up so much try to buy kale with larger leaves.
Warning: One of my kale leaves did catch on fire. Not an explosion but more like a lit candle on a birthday cake. I blew that shit out then debated if I should eat it. I did and it was great!!!
kale, oil, salt
- Rip kale off the stalk into the largest pieces you can (they shrink up a lot once cooked)
- Mix with oil and salt
- Microwave in small batches for 2-3 minutes depending on your microwave. Keep an eye on them while cooking. They’re done when they feel somewhat crispy. A minute after removing from the microwave they crisp up even more.
- The plate will be super hot so leave the plate and just move the kale in and out of the microwave. ENJOY
Inspired by Bigger Bolder Baker
Microwave Vegan Loaded “Baked” Potato
The failed vegan microwave brownie recipe (you can try it) created a lot of emotional pain and self doubt within me. I was redeemed and my emotions were restored as soon as I made this loaded baked potato. I am the queen of basic ass food dazzling me to no end. Microwave-baked potato this one’s for you. (toasting the room with a romantic speech of love and light)
potato, optional toppings: vegan plain cashew yogurt, chives, vegan shredded cheddar (I used daiya), diced chipotle seitan sausage (I used field roast)
- Scrub and wash clean the potato skin
- Pierce the potato with a fork on all sides (you can oil and salt the skin, optional)
- Depending on the potato size you’ll microwave the potato for 6-10 minutes (I flipped mine half way through). Mine cooked in 8 minutes.
- With a fork poke through the middle. If soft then cut open the potato, fluff the inside and top with chz. Microwave with cheese for 1 minute.
- Load the potato up with more toppings. ENJOY
Inspired by Tasty
Microwave Vegan Un-fried Rice
Guess who never wants to cook rice and clean a pot but always wants to eat rice? Me. The fact that I can microwave rice just blows my mind. When I cooked the rice for 10 minutes I thought some of the rice seemed under-cooked but after adding the veggies and cooking an additional 2 minutes the rice seemed perfect. I have no idea what that means for you. This completely blows my mind.
1/2 cup white rice, 1 cup water, 1 TB soy sauce, 1 TB oil (sesame is ideal), 1/2 cup frozen veggies, chives garnish, ginger would have been nice in this
- Cook rice with water for about 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Bowl will be really hot so use oven mitts.
- Once rice is cooked add frozen veggies and cook everything for an additional 2 minutes
- Mix everything up. If rice is fully cooked and veggies are hot you can ENJOY (or microwave for a few more minutes if needed)
Inspired by Tasty
2 Ingredient Cake Hack – 2 Layered Cake Microwave!
As cheap and easy as it is to make Vegan Cake & Cupcakes (I love this recipe) I think I’m hooked on this 2 ingredient hack. 12 ounce can of soda and 1 box of cake mix (any flavors with either) and your cake batter is good to go. No oil, no egg replacers, no milk substitutes. Just a (wo)man with a simple dream.
I tried making cupcakes in the microwave but I overcooked the cupcakes (3 minutes?) and they came out 100% un-edible. But I did microwave these two layers for cake and they came out great. While my cake was completely cooked I did find the texture ultra moist and easy to crumble while frosting. I frosted 95% of the cake you see pictured. I was debating if I should open a whole other frosting container to frost the last 5% of the cake and to add decoration on top. My better judgement said there was enough frosting so go take a hike.
On an unrelated note: I made 2 batches of 2 ingredient cupcakes the other week. During that time I discovered that I really like pink frosting. My rational side thinks I’m a chump but the heart wants what the heart wants. Pink frosting for life <3
1 can soda (12oz, diet chemical death (my choice) or corn syrup are both great options), 1 box of vegan cake mix, vegan frosting, food coloring/sprinkles optional
- Mix cake mix with soda
- Pour into 2 microwave safe containers (I used round silicone bakeware)
- Microwave for about 6 minute. Cook these one at a time. I nervously checked the cake every 2 minutes. Goal: they’re done when the top doesn’t look wet and is firm. I pulled mine out the second they looked good.
- Let cool completely before removing from mold and frosting. ENJOY
Inspired by Bigger Bolder Baker