This was my first time making protein fluff. I wasn’t sure if it could be done dairy free since dairy can have some magical properties that often can’t be replaced in simple 3 ingredient recipes. I mean sometimes it can. I did make a wicked 5 vegan “2 ingredient” desserts posts recently. But I hadn’t see anything online assuring me it could be done.
Then I bought some xanthan gum for other food projects that I have in mind. Dude, the more I looked into the magical properties of xanthan gum the more I was like, yeah we could totally make some vegan protein fluff.
Side note: an 8 oz bag cost about $11 which isn’t a ton of money when you think how little is needed in any recipe. But $22 a lb for anything is a bit pricey. Natural Grocer had little bags of the stuff with their house label sticker on it for $9 a lb!!! So my little bag cost under $3! Legit.
Even thought I’ve only made this one time I’ve got a list of assumptions to making vegan fluff. (loosely based on other non-hippie recipes)
- Fruit – completely not necessary. Just liquid with xanthan gum.
- Protein – same as above. No necessary.
- Liquid – any liquid! Almond milk, water, coffee, DIET SODA!, smoothies, juice, etc
- Powder – Xanthan gum with liquid is the magic but you can add any additional powders or spices to the mix including protein.
- Processing – I have no idea. 99% of people blend everything then whip it into a fluff with a standing or hand mixer. I’ve seen a video of a chick who just used a food processor. Maybe that’s good enough.
- Ice – Sure, knock yourself out. It’s optional.
- Sweeteners – Yes! Add diet or regular sweeteners if your protein powder or base ingredients aren’t sweet enough on their own
- Toppings – Do it! Sprinkles, chocolate syrup, sliced fruit, crumbled cookies. However you would top your ice cream.
This filled two bowls up!
Last thing before I get into the process. I used frozen strawberries for flavor but only had chocolate flavored protein powder so in the end my fluff didn’t taste like either strawberry or chocolate.
2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1+ cup frozen strawberries (180 grams), 2 ts xanthan powder (6 grams), 1 large scoop vegan protein powder (33 grams)
I topped mine with chocolate syrup since this was totally not sweet enough
(I recommend you add sweetener!)
- Blended everything in the blender. It was super thick and my blender could not handle it. I almost added more liquid but didn’t wuss out. Actually, mixed in the protein powder because I was worried that it would be too thick for my blender if I tried to blend it all in.
- Pour the blended ingredients in a bowl. I whipped this with a shitty hand mixer from the thrift store for about 10 minutes. *Everyone says to do this for 10 minutes but I didn’t notice much a difference.
- Poured this into two bowls and topped with chocolate syrup. ENJOY