This was my first time making seitan. Then I deep fried it!!!! Hands down the most filling meals I’ve had in I don’t know how long. I’m talking filling on another plane of existences. No matter how much protein in a meal, how large my bowl of cooked veggies or any other meal that I can think of compares to this.
The macros to gluten flour are pretty close to chicken breast. There’s a tiny amount of carbs but for real. 120 calories of wheat gluten has 23 gram of protein. SAY WHAT?! 4 grams carbs & zero fat (before we fried it). The macros alone pretty much have me sold.
High fucking vegan protein. This isn’t like the exaggerated vegan protein lists that float around the internet. This is for real.
#1: taste the flour mixture before rolling your seitan in it. Since the flour will become the breading you’ll want to make sure it’s salty and seasoned to your liking. Just dab your finger in the flour mixture & taste it. You’ll notice right away if it’s bland or flavorful.
#2 For the most part making seitan is simply mixing equal parts spiced gluten flour to liquid (then bake or boil it). Now I’ve seen it recommended to use slightly less liquid for firmer texture.
Let me know if you have any seitan making tips. Definitely seems like an art.
Vegan Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich
I kept adding spices but I could not taste the heat. Maybe someone more sensitive to heat would have. I should have added cayenne but didn’t. My brain insisted but I resisted. This was an EPIC sandwich. And the hot sauce vegan mayo was addicting. I kept saying that I didn’t need to eat all of the bread but once it soaked up the sauce I couldn’t let go.
Also the fact that it was one single patty makes is an ultra streamlined process. This was so much faster than rolling and dipping a bunch of small nuggets.
This recipe makes one huge vegan chicken patty. Here’s a great recipe from EdgyVeg that inspired this.
6 TB gluten flour (64 grams), 1/2 ts onion powder, 1/4 ts poultry herbs, 1/4 ts salt, 1 TB tahini, 1 TB hot sauce, 3 TB vegan chicken broth, water, vegan eggs, hot sauce, 6 TB flour with 1/8 ts garlic powder, 1/4 onion powder, 1 ts paprika, salt and chipotle powder or cayenne, oil for frying + vegan spicy sauce (mix hot sauce with vegan mayo)
- Mix: 6 TB gluten flour (64 grams), 1/2 ts onion powder, 1/4 ts poultry herbs, 1/4 ts salt
- Mix in different bowl: 1 TB tahini, 1 TB hot sauce, 3 TB vegan chicken broth
- Combine line 1 & 2 to make your veggie patty dough. Knead dough for a minute.
- Boil veggie patty covered in water or broth for about an hour. Then set aside to cool and press with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Make vegan egg: 1.5 TB vegan egg powder (I used follow your heart) with about 1/2 cup cold water. Add water slowly, you may not need it all or you may need extra. Add enough cold water til it’s a thick batter. Add hot sauce to thin it out and maybe some more cold water. I thought it was easier to use when on the thinner side.
- Make flour mixture for breading: 6 TB flour with 1/8 ts garlic powder, 1/4 onion powder, 1 ts paprika, salt and chipotle powder or cayenne. Mix and taste. Add more flavors or salt if needed.
- Coat gluten patty with flour mixture then dip in vegan egg mixture. Allow excess to drip off then put back in the flour mixture.
- Fry patty: heat oil to high/med-high heat and fry to golden brown & crispy. ENJOY
Vegan Buffalo Wings
I love hot sauce so by extension buffalo sauce is legit. While these were amazing I would dip these in buffalo sauce next time instead of coating them. Yeah that’s nerdy but I’d rather have super crispy breading than semi soggy. The amount of salt in that sauce is freaking addicting.
Vegan General Tso’s Chicken
So I made a vegan Kung Pao sauce that I am 100% obsessed with. I’m in love with it to the point where I really wish I could buy a bottle that tastes exactly like mine. Dude, I’m really too lazy to make it every time I crave it. I tried buying some at the store but they had stupid amounts of sodium in them. Pet peeve: having an unquenchable thirst that keeps me up at night.
I bought this general tso’s sauce at aldi’s on a whim. The label showed the salt was totally humble and the ingredients showed all the flavors I love together. Sadly the sauce wasn’t up to my high horse standards. Long story short I gave this bowl of asian chick’n to Mark and dipped my half of plan fried nuggets in BBQ sauce. It was soooooooooooooo good. I really wanted to use orange sauce but didn’t get to the store in time. Mark liked the general Tso’s chick’n better than the vegan buffalo wings.
The recipe I used to makes a massive portion of seitan. Half was turned into nuggets and the other half turned in “wings”. Essentially this recipe made 2 portions of wings and 2 portions of Asian nuggets. Really a ton of food. Feel free to cut the recipe in half or follow the general measurements below for the Vegan Chick’n Parmesan recipe if you just want to make a single portion.
HUGE RECIPE FOR BOTH WINGS & ASIAN NUGGETS:
1.5 cups gluten flour (not packed, 180 grams), 2 ts onion powder, sprinkle garlic powder, 1 ts poultry herbs, 1 ts salt, 3 TB tahini, vegan chick’n broth (or water), 6 TB vegan egg powder (46 grams), 1.5 cups cold water (or more) for egg powder, 2 cups flour, 1 ts cornstarch, 1/2 ts garlic powder, 1/2 ts onion powder, 1 ts salt, 4 TB buffalo sauce, 4 TB Asian sauce (and/or any other sauce)
- Mix: 1.5 cups gluten flour (not packed, 180 grams), 2 ts onion powder, sprinkle garlic powder, 1 ts poultry herbs, 1 ts salt in a bowl
- Add 3 TB tahini to a measuring cup. On top of the tahini add veggie broth or water til it reaches the 1.25 cup mark. Mix together.
- Add liquid for line 2 to dry ingredients on line 1. Add more water to your dough if it feels to stiff. Knead dough for a minute.
- Divide dough in half. Pull one half into small balls and the other half into wing shapes. These will double in size so make them small!
- Cover with water or broth. Boil for an hour. Once cooked lay them on a paper towel lined cookie sheet to cool.
- Make vegan eggs as directed. Make sure the egg batter is on the thinner side so maybe a little extra water.
- Make flour mixture: Mix 2 cups flour, 1 ts cornstarch, 1/2 ts garlic powder, 1/2 ts onion powder and 1 ts salt in a bowl.
- Dip nuggets and wings into flour then vegan egg batter then back into flour. Fry on high/med-high until golden brown. Fry in small batches.
- Once cooked mix each piece with desired sauce. ENJOY
Vegan Chicken Parmesan
I was almost sad that I only made one portion of this. So good! As you’ll see this is pretty much the same recipe as repeated above but with way less work. Ah, I’m ready for more.
6 TB gluten flour, 1/2 ts onion powder, 1/4 ts poultry herbs, 1/4 ts salt, 1 TB tahini, 5 TB vegan chick’n broth or water, 1 vegan egg, 6 TB flour, 1/4 onion powder, 1/4 garlic powder, 1/4 salt, pasta, pasta sauce, vegan cheese (I used daiya), 1 brazil nut (for “parmesan”)
- Mix: 6 TB gluten flour, 1/2 ts onion powder, 1/4 ts poultry herbs, 1/4 ts salt
- Mix in a different bowl: 1 TB tahini, 5 TB vegan chick’n broth or water
- Combined line 1 & 2 til you have seitan dough. Knead dough for a minute.
- Cover with water or broth. Boil for an hour. Once done use a paper towel to press some extra water out of the patty. Set aside to cool.
- Make vegan egg as directed. Use a little extra water to make egg batter on the thinner side.
- Make flour mixture: 6 TB flour, 1/4 onion powder, 1/4 garlic powder, 1/4 salt
- Dip seitan patty into flour then vegan egg batter then flour again. Fry on high/med-high heat til golden brown.
- Serve with pasta, sauce and vegan cheese. I melted my daiya slice in the oven on the broil setting. Grate brazil nut finely for the parmesan. ENJOY