The first time I made a homemade veggie burger I was shocked how easy it was. My friend Misty invited me to her place. I happened to be with my dad when she called so when I told him I was going to make veggie burgers he invited himself along. They were so good. That was over 10 years ago so I don’t remember exactly what we did but I’m guessing it was just beans, bread crumbs and spices.
- When making veggie burgers if things aren’t holding together then add either 1 TB of water and/or 1 TB bread crumbs at a time until things start to hold shape.
- Most of these recipes just needed 1 TB oil for frying patties in the skillet. Baking would work well too.
- ADD SPICES or GRILLED ONION to any of these recipe!!! I was too lazy which meant that I missed out on extra deliciousness.
- I love whole foods brand Italian bread crumbs because they’re seasoned (and vegan). Vegan bread crumbs may be hard find. Feel free to process panko into crumbs in your food processor. If using plain crushed panko then you’ll need to add extra salt and spices to your recipe.
You can use a food processor on any of these recipes to chop everything finer and faster (and mash beans) but I didn’t feel like washing my food processor after each recipe so I just chopped with a knife and mashed with a fork.
*For the LAZIEST of veggie burgers just use 1 can of refried beans (no mashing needed!) and bread crumbs til it holds shape.
Vegan Mushroom Oat Burger
Mark said “They’re a little mushy but I think this was the best veggie burger I’ve ever had.” Say what?! ha ha ha ha. Yeah, this was great. This was inspired by Vegan Heavens recipe.
1 TB flax meal + 2 TB water, 1/2 can chickpeas (about 1/2 cup), 4 mushrooms (120 grams), 2 TB oatmeal (14 grams), 2 TB flour (20 grams), 4 TB bread crumbs (35 grams), 1/4 cup water, 1 TB oil
- Mix flax meal with water. Set aside.
- Mash chickpeas with a fork. Chop and dice mushrooms.
- Add everything together in a mixing bowl
- Form patties then fry in a skillet with 1 TB oil until golden on each side. ENJOY
Vegan Pizza Quinoa Burger – Gluten Free
These are super easy to make and the patties are gluten free. It’s rare veggie to have a veggie burger without bread crumbs or flour to hold it all together. 3 main ingredients for the patties. This was inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie’s blog.
1/4 cup dry quinoa + 1/2 cup water for cooking quinoa, 2 TB tomato paste 1/2 can of great northern beans or pinto beans, spices (fresh or dried basil, oregano, salt), toppings (vegan cheese, olives, tomato sauce), 1 TB oil
- Cook quinoa
- Mash beans with fork
- Mash cooked quinoa, beans, tomato pasta and spices in a mixing bowl. Form into patties.
- Fry in skillet with 1 TB oil. Once one side is golden flip and add vegan cheese. Add a dash of water to the skillet and put a lid top to melt the vegan cheese with steam.
- Plate on burger bun and top with tomato sauce and olives. ENJOY
Vegan Cauliflower Lentil Burger
I should have used more cauliflower but I really wasn’t trying to make 50 burgers. Speaking of shoulds, I should have chopped the cauliflower into smaller pieces before roasting. I LOVE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER. It’s my fav. I forgot how rad it was since I’m grilling everything these days with the Foreman. This was inspired by One Green Planet’s recipe.
1 cup cauliflower (or more) + 1/2 TB oil, salt, 1/2 cup cooked lentils (100 grams), 3 TB bread crumbs, 2-4 TB water (add slowly, might not need all), 1 TB oil for frying
- Chop cauliflower then coat in oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or til the edges darken. My small batch took 25 minutes but large batches usually take 45 minutes.
- Mash lentils and add roasted cauliflower. Mix bread crumbs in and form patties.
- Fry in a skillet with 1 TB oil until each side is golden. ENJOY
Vegan Green Vegetable Burger – No Bean – Kale, Broccoli, Peas
Because these are bean-free burgers these are not super hardy. If you’re looking for a filling meal that is light make these. If you want green burgers with more bulk add mashed beans to this. I added fresh onion but maybe grilled onion would have added more flavor. I would totally make these again. This was inspired by Vegan Heaven’s recipe.
1/2 cup frozen peas, 1/2 cup frozen kale, 1 cup frozen broccoli, slice of onion, 10 TB bread crumbs (.6 cup), 2 TB water or so, 1 TB oil
- Cook veggies. I threw all of mine on the thrift store Foreman for 10 minutes but you can boil, microwave or whatever.
- Add cooked veggies to a food processor and pulse with onion til chunky. Move to a mixing bowl.
- Mix burger veggies with bread crumbs. I added bread crumbs and water slowly til it started to hold shape. Form patties.
- Fry in a skillet with 1 TB oil til golden on each side. ENJOY
Vegan Zucchini Burger
Really good! I was worried that I hadn’t chopped the zucchini enough but it all worked out. I love zucchini. It’s super voluminous. Zucchini is how to double your meal for little calories. This was inspired by Vegan Sandra‘s recipe.
1/2 cup zucchini (about 1/2 med zucchini, 110 grams), 1/2 can great northern beans (166 grams), 2 TB bread crumbs
- Chop & dice zucchini into small pieces
- Mash beans
- Mix beans, zucchini and bread crumbs together. If it doesn’t hold a paste then add a TB water and/or TB of bread crumbs at a time til it holds shape.
- Form patties and fry in skillet til golden on each side in oil. ENJOY
Vegan Hawaiian Pineapple Jalapeno Burger
Sweet and spicy!!! Throw on some BBQ sauce. Holy hell. This was my fav! The canned pineapple were kind of lacking but damn is it cheaper than fresh. No ideal but I’m richer for it. This recipe was inspired by Connoisseurus Veg.
1/2 can chickpeas (124 grams), 1 TB water, 1 TB pineapple juice (optional), 3 pineapple slices (100 grams), jalapeno, 2 TB bread crumbs
- Mash chickpeas with 1 TB water if you have kind of dried beans. Mine came from a can but were somewhat dry. If you have pinto or great northern you may not need water.
- Feel free to add a 1 TB of pineapple juice to the beans
- Chop pineapple and jalapeno. Add to beans.
- Mix everything up with bread crumbs and form patties
- Fry burgers in oil on a skillet til brown on both sides. ENJOY