Here’s 11 different ways to make vegan rice. I dug through a bunch of these allrecipes recipes to figure out what to make. Since I make dishes for the first time pretty much in front of the camera don’t look at any of these as 100% solid recipes. Maybe you’ll want more or less salt, lime or spices. These are easy to make and easy to tweak.
Some of these rice dishes are heavily seasoned while others lightly spiced. I prefer more flavor but there are times when you’ll want just a subtle spice to compliment your main dish. Or subtle spices when you’re in a mellow mood.
All of these recipes used 2 servings (1/2 cup) of dry rice. Think 1/2 cup dry rice with 1 cup cup of liquid. Add spices, oil and maybe some sauce (salsa or tomatoes). Most of these were made with cheap white rice but use whatever you want.
One thing worth noting is that I did two things for the first time while making these rice dishes. #1 I used bouillon cubes (vegan chicken flavored) with many of these. I don’t have to tell you that it’s an upgrade from just using water. #2 I browned the rice by cooking it in oil before adding water for a few of these dishes. I have no idea if I did it right or if it was worth the extra few minutes.
There’s a right way to cook rice which I’d recommend you read here. I never follow the rules when cooking rice with tomato sauce or salsa. I always check on the rice to make sure it’s not sticking to the pot when using thick sauces and checking on rice is breaking the rules.
Star Anise Rice
Star anise is a subtle flavor that can quickly overpower your recipe if you add too much. My husband usually just adds one star for a small pot of rice. It has a licorice flavor which might sound crazy but it’s the easiest way to dazzle some Indian food. Make some star anise rice and serve it with with curry. It may blow your mind.
1/2 cup dry rice, 1 cup water, 1 star anise, salt to taste, oil optional
- Cook rice with water and star anise
- Once cooked discard star anise
- Serve with salt and/or oil. ENJOY
Smokey Red Cajun Rice
I LOVED this. This is full of flavor and I’m in love with smokey chipotle powder in everything. If you don’t want a spicy kick then use smoked paprika instead of chipotle. Again, AMAZING.
1 garlic clove, slice of onion, 1/4th of a red and green bell pepper, 1 celery stalk, 1 TB oil, 8 oz can tomato sauce (mini can), 1 TB cajun spice, dash of chipotle powder or smoked paprika, salt to taste, 1/2 cup dry rice, 1 cup water, parsley or cilantro optional
- Cook 1/2 dry rice with 1 cup water
- Chop onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery, cilantro & parsley
- Add to onions and garlic to oil and saute with a little bit of salt.
- Add bell pepper and celery. Saute with salt.
- Add cooked rice then mix in 8 0z can of tomato sauce
- Mix in a dash of chipotle powder and 1 TB cajun spice blend. Taste whether you need additional salt.
- Mix in fresh herbs. ENJOY
Indian Spice Rice
Hands down this was epic. This was exactly like the rice we’d eat at the Krsna temple. I’m obsessed. When Mark took a bite he was like, “Wooo, just like the restaurant”. I know!
1 ts cumin seed, 1 ts mustard seed, small cinnamon stick, 1 clove, 1 ts ground ginger, 1 ts turmeric, 1 TB vegan butter, 1/2 bouillon cube, 1/2 cup rice, 1 cup water, salt to taste
- Have rice and water measured out and ready to go
- Saute 1 ts cumin seed and 1 ts mustard seed with 1 TB vegan butter
- Once mustard seeds start to pop add rice and water
- Add small cinnamon stick, 1 clove, 1 ts ground ginger, 1 ts turmeric and bouillon
- Once rice is cooked remove cinnamon and clove. Salt to taste. ENJOY
Coconut Lime Rice
This was really good. I “toasted” the rice and coconut flakes and have no idea if I did it correctly.
1-2 limes, 1 TB vegan butter, 1 TB coconut flakes, 1/2 cup dry rice, 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 bouillon cube, salt to taste
- Saute 1/2 cup dry rice with 1 TB coconut flakes with 1 TB vegan butter until toasted
- Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup canned coconut milk and juice of one lime
- Cook then add salt to taste. Add more lime juice if needed. ENJOY
Cilantro Lime Rice
I read a bunch of different recipes for this and it pretty much comes down to this. Everybody has a different preference for the amount of lime and cilantro they want. Dig through the reviews and you’ll see what I’m talking about. This is an awesome recipe but don’t go wild with cilantro or lime if you’re going to be a baby about it. Add lime and cilantro then taste then add more if you’d like.
1/2 cup dry rice, 1 cup water, 1/2 bouillon cube, 1 TB oil, salt/lime juice/cilantro to taste
- Cook rice with bouillon
- Add 1 TB oil
- Add salt, cilantro and lime juice to taste.(I used 2 TB cilantro & 1 juicy lime)
Here’s a simple recipe that will add variety when you want to make a humble bowl of rice.
1/2 of an onion, 1 TB vegan butter, salt, 1/2 bouillon cube, 1/2 cup dry rice, 1 cup water
- Chop onion then saute in 1 TB vegan butter with a sprinkle of salt
- Add 1/2 cup dry rice and brown the rice with the onions
- After a few minutes add 1 cup water & 1/2 bouillon cube and cook
- Salt to taste. ENJOY
Spanish rice is the best! I love salsa. Lot of flavor for little calories and little prep. Plus salsa is so salty that it makes everything tastes better.
1/2 cup dry rice, 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup salsa, 1 TB oil, 1/2 cube bouillon cube
- Add all ingredients to a pot and cook
Rice pilaf is a classic dish and stupid easy to make.
1/4 of an onion, garlic clove, 1 TB vegan butter, 1/2 bouillon cube, 1/4 cup dry orzo pasta, 1/4 cup dry rice, 1 cup water, salt, parsley
- Chop onion and garlic. Saute with 1 TB vegan butter and salt
- Brown 1/4 cup rice and 1/4 cup orzo pasta with onion and garlic
- Add water and bouillon
- Once cooked add chopped parsley. Taste to see if you need more salt. ENJOY
Vegan Cheesy Rice
You could make this even creamier if you add extra vegan butter or a TB of coconut cream.
1/2 cup dry rice, 1 cup water, 1 TB vegan butter, 3 slices of vegan cheese (I used daiya cheddar slices, not shredded), 2 TB plain almond milk
- Cook 1/2 cup dry rice with 1 cup of water
- Once rice is cooked add 2 TB plain almond milk, 3 slices of vegan cheese and 1 TB of vegan butter. Mix over low heat til everything is melted together. ENJOY
Vegan Tomato Basil Rice
This was awesome. Fresh basil is a goddess!
1/4 onion, garlic clove, 2 servings of sun dried tomatoes in oil (40 grams), 1 TB oil, handful of fresh basil, salt, 1 ts dried basil, 1 serving of canned fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice (1/2 cup), 3/4 cup water
- Chop onion & garlic. Saute in oil with a dash of salt.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 of your fresh chopped basil, 1 ts dried basil, 1 serving of canned diced tomatoes, and sun dried tomato with oil
- Add 1/2 cup dry rice and 3/4 cup water then cook
- Mine took twice as long as usual to absorb all of the water and the rice still came out a little under cooked. It was good but unexpected.
- Once water is absorbed and rice is cooked mix in the rest of your fresh basil. ENJOY
This was my first time cooking with saffron. I’m a fan!
1/8 ts saffron, 2 TB hot water, 1/2 cup dry rice, 1 cup water, salt to taste, oil optional
- Put saffron threads in 2 TB boiling water. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Cook 1/2 cup rice with 1 cup water and add the saffron threads with water
- Salt to taste. Add oil is optional. ENJOY