This picture does not do it justice. 1 can of refried beans was turned into 13 good sized meatballs….meatless balls…. bean balls. Whatever. I need to make some vegan meatballs for a pasta dish soon. Man, what I really want is this recipe with a dash of hot sauce and vegan butter to make vegan buffalo meatballs served on top of Cheesy Thai Cream Sauce Noodles. That recipe will appear on the blog one day soon.
1 can refried beans, 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, onion, bell pepper, oil, salt, Italian herbs & spices (fennel, poultry spices, onion, garlic powder, etc), rolls & pasta sauce
- Mash 1 can of beans with 1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs. Add more if the mixture needs to be thickened up to hold it’s shape. Thoroughly mix in your mixture of spices.
- Roll your spiced beans/breadcrumb mixture into balls. Roll the balls onto breadcrumbs.
- On med/low heat cook the balls in oil. Start with 1 TB of oil. Carefully rotate each ball to brown the outside.
- Saute bell pepper and onion slices (I grilled mine on a george foreman grill) and set aside
- Put your vegan meatballs inside of your bread, top with pasta sauce, onion and pepper. ENJOY!