The title says Mac & Cheese even though it’s really Shells & Cheese. It just doesn’t have the same ring to it. This recipe is a lovechild between my two favorite vegan recipes. Our Vegan Bean Burgers are crazy simple (can of beans & breadcrumbs). No cooking dried beans, no busting out the food processor, none of it. The Vegan Cheese Dip/sauce is the least processed vegan cheese on the plant (just veggies, water and spices). Throw in some burger buns and pasta and BAM! I didn’t show this in the video but I mixed in a couple TB of BBQ sauce in the left over pasta & cheese. DUDE, that’s gonna have to be a video unto itself. This will make a lifetime supply of cheese sauce, feel free to cut the recipe.
V – CHEESE: 3 med potatoes, 2 long carrots, water, salt, onion & garlic powder, 1 lime, pasta
V – BURGERS: can refried beans (or whole beans mashed up), 1/2- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs + 3 TB extra, 1-2 TB oil
- Boil or Steam 2 cups of peeled potatoes & 1 cup carrots
- Put cooked veggies in blender with 1/2 cup of water. Blend!
- Add 1-2 ts salt, 1/4 ts garlic powder. 1/4 ts onion powder & 1 TB citrus juice (I just used a whole lime)
- Add either 3 TB of oil OR water. Blend!
- Add 1/2 cup nutritional flakes. Blend! Add tiny amounts of water if it’s too thick to blend.
- Cook pasta
- Mash 1 can of refried beans with 1/2 cup (or more) breadcrumbs. Add more if it needs to be thickened. Thicker is better (more meatly, less doughy)!! Adding spices is optional.
- Form 4 patties and press them on to a plate that has 3 TB breadcrumbs.
- Once coated in breadcrumbs fry in a skillet with 1 TB oil. Feel free to add more oil as you flip the burgers. Flip once golden to make them crispy on both sides.
- Add pasta & cheese on top of a burger. ENJOY
For more details on this recipe at my video below. Cheese recipe was inspired by Veggie On A Penny.